Announcement

Collapse

Please consider supporting our server!

Do you enjoy parody artwork (rule 34?) We've been providing it to the new for over 24 years. It would be a great help if you could consider supporting us over at subscribestar! You can get there via this link https://subscribestar.adult/tjapalsupport , thanks so much for considering, every little bit helps!
See more
See less

The Loud House: Brother Dearest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Loud House: Brother Dearest

So, yeah! Here's the first part of that story I was challenged to write. Hope you enjoy reading it, because I sure enjoyed writing it.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The Loud House

Brother Dearest
    By Nurse Katie

Chapter One
    From Out of Town

It was a typical bright, sunny, and utterly chaotic Saturday morning at the Loud Family abode, with all the present siblings going about their usual routines. Lori was glued to her phone having a titter-fest with her boyfriend Bobby, Leni was jotting down ideas for a new sweater design (despite having confused a chopstick with a pen,) Luna was shredding on her guitar and shaking half the house, Luan was working on new material for her routine, Lynn had already destroyed her sparring dummy while brushing up on her wrestling moves, Lucy was working on yet another poem in one of her several secret dark places throughout the house, Lana was playing in the mud outside, Lola was admiring herself in her compact, and Lisa was conducting an experiment to deduce if it was possible to achieve polytransmorphic acceleration through use of negatively charged ionic psychoplasma.

There was only one omission, or rather four, from the chaos. Those things were Mr. and Mrs. Loud, the youngest sibling Lily, and the foul, nostril-searing stench of Lily’s diapers. Mr. Loud had taken two weeks off work to help Grandpa Loud, or Pop-Pop as Leni affectionately called him, move out of his old home and into somewhere more old-man accessible while Mrs. Loud was off on a business trip, and Lily was left under the care of Clyde’s parents, Howard and Harold. Suffice to say, they didn’t exactly trust their kids with the care of an infant given what happened last time they were all left to their own devices.

And then there was one.

Lincoln Loud, the only boy in a pod of girls, was spending his morning lazing on the couch and reading comics in nothing but a pair of socks and his tighty-wighties, savoring one of the few times he had the couch and the TV all to himself, listening to the news while he read.

“Ah, the morning news…” Lincoln said through a yawn, stretching his arms out and then resting them behind his head. “Your one-stop-shop for current events, punditry, and lazy exposition by even lazier writers.”

Ahem….

Suddenly a shrill, piercing sound sent a jolt up Lincoln’s spine that prompted him off the couch and even out of his socks, as well as the spines of all the other Loud kids, save for one.

“Loud Family!” Lori’s voice boomed following the whistle. “ASSEMBLE!”

Like obedient soldiers, the Louds all dropped what they were doing and B-lined toward the foyer, lining up from shortest to tallest and youngest to oldest, all standing straight, tall, and at firm attention. For you see, there was one caveat for the Loud kids staying at home and not being watched by the McBrides along with Lily; Lori was in charge, and she ruled over the homestead with an iron fist. To no surprise once all the Louds had assembled, before them stood Lori, clad in her army jacket, boots, and aviators, and wielding that ever-so-fierce looking riding crop. Thankfully she had yet to use it on any of them…yet.

“At ease.” Lori said, which brought about the Louds holding steady and occasionally exchanging confused and worried glances with each other. Sensing dissonance, Lori removed her aviators and softened her demeanor a bit. “No, seriously, you can relax.”

The Louds all breathed a collective sigh of relief as they relaxed and eased themselves, but Lori went directly back to drill instructor mode all the same.

“Loud Family, it’s been six days since mom and dad left you and the house under my care.” Lori said as she paced back and forth with steely determination. “I’m proud to say there have been no incidents of note. The kitchen hasn’t been trashed, the house is spotless, Vanzilla is in better shape than when dad got it from grandpa, and Lisa hasn’t blown up the house; again.”

“I go on record to say that last time was not my fault.” Lisa said calmly but firmly through her thick lateral lisp. “Besides, exploding domiciles help to build character, and my hadron enforcement experiment only destroyed two thirds of the second story. Nobody was seriously injured.”

“Says you.” Lincoln retorted. “Lynn and Lucy had to bunk up with me for a week! My bed still smells like meatball subs and dead bats.” His remark earned him a punch in the arm from Lynn, who was standing right next to him. “OW!”

“Nuh-uh!” Lynn said defensively. “You know I switched to turkey clubs weeks ago!”

“Least you didn’t have to share a bed with the twins.” Luna stated.

“What’s that supposed to mean!?” Lana barked from clear on the other side of the line-up.

“You bite in your sleep!” Luna shot right back. “One more nibble I would have dropped you like a hammer on a bed of nails!”

“Gee…” Luan chimed in her usual jokey, fun-loving tone as she comically shrugged. “I suppose such an act would make you a Luna-tic!”

Before everyone could groan at Luan’s pun or Luan could laugh at her own joke, Lori blew her whistle again and got their attention back.

“As I was saying…” she said. “Despite a few fights and arguments, your behavior has improved. ..” She then stopped dead in her tracks, and turned to face her sisters and brother with a grim, stern, solidness in her tone. “Therefore, I can only think of one thing…”

The Louds stood still and silent, some sweating profusely as they exchanged nervous glances with each other. They had no idea what Lori was going to say or do next, and their dread of the unknown only intensified as Lori’s hand inches closer and closer toward her jacket pocket. With bated breath they waited, time slowing to a grueling crawl until her hand reached inside…

And produced both a roll of 20’s and plenty of coupons to the Loud Family’s favorite pizzeria, and with them Lori’s entire demeanor changed from stern and harsh to uplifting and bright.

“So…” Lori said in a smooth, playful tone. “Who’s up for pizza and a movie this afternoon?”

The response was as predictable as the sunrise, each Loud member giving a surprised gasp and following their own excited squeals of delight and dances of excitement. Once they had settled down a bit, conversations immediately began on what was playing and what they should see.

“Let’s go see an action movie!” Lynn stated excitingly. “A brand new ‘The Disposables’ movie just came out!”

“Grandpas with guns? Like, so 2010!” Leni said with scorn, and then beamed in excitement. “Let’s go see a romantic movie! I heard they just remade Suggestive Swinging.”

“Negative.” Lisa said dismissively, adjusting her glasses. “I’m a firm believer that if the hands and minds behind the motion picture industry must remake a classic, then we are obliged to watch the classic. Besides, I hear there’s a riveting documentary playing about the declining sea monkey population.”

“We should see a horror movie.” Lucy said in her cold, deadpan tone. “There’s the 15th installment of the Animosityville series playing at the Ravenholm Cinemas…” Lucy then thought for a moment, and before anybody could shoot her idea down she promptly did it for them. “Then again, they made 14 other ones and only two of them are any good…”

“How about the latest superhero movie, Fabulous Five?” Luan suggested, much to Luna’s confusion.

“Didn’t that movie bomb?” Luna asked.

“It did!” Luan said, producing her video camera and her enthusiasm was undeterred. “It bombed spectacularly! Fans hated it and critics despised it, and both the studio and director publically disowned it! It was so bad even the title couldn’t make it sound good! I mean come on, 5abulous? What were they thinking!? All ten of us could riff on it, and I can even livestream it to my webpage!”

“That’s dumb!” Lola said, annoyed and with her arms crossed.

“Yeah!” Lana added. “Purposefully watching a bad movie just to make fun of it? Who does that?”

“You’d be surprised…” Lisa chimed in. “However, seeing as how we’re neither celebrities on the Internet nor anybody of any significant importance or value in the motion picture industry, we’d be asking to get sued by the studio if we did such a thing.”

For several minutes, the Loud Sisters went back and forth on what movie they should see, shooting ideas down, starting over, and repeating the process. All the while, Lincoln was flipping through images on the family tablet, checking various review scores from critics and audiences alike on various movies that were currently playing in theaters.

“No…” he said as he swept past another movie, and not letting up as more options presented themselves. “No…no…stupid…dated…too dark…to bland…too schmaltzy…not funny…not appropriate for small children…how that guy still gets work I’ll never know…” Finally, he found something. “I got it!” He shouted excitingly, getting the attention of his sisters. Once all eyes were on him, Lincoln presented the image on the tablet, a poster of the movie ‘Golden.’ The poster depicted a tall warrior maiden with long, golden hair, wearing full-plate armor and wielding a magic sword so large it required two hands to wield. Standing with her was a smiling anthropomorphic grizzly bear, wearing a monk’s robe and draping a comically large war hammer across his shoulders, and in the background was a lush medieval fantasy world with a regal castle, a craggy mountain, various supporting characters, and a mighty red dragon blocking out the sun with his expansive wings.

“Why not Golden?” Lincoln suggested. “It’s an animated fantasy adventure based on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. See, Goldilocks is an orphaned girl who’s lost and hungry and happens upon an empty house, and the three bears adopt her. And because she lives with bears, she grows as big as a bear! One day the evil Dragon King of Kragmarth attacks their kingdom and kidnaps their king seeking the Sword of Providence, and it’s up to Goldi, her brother Bart…” For the moment Lincoln’s enthusiasm died when stating the bear’s name out loud.

“Bart the Bear? Gee, that’s original. Anyway!” He went on, his enthusiasm coming right back. “Anyway, big scary monster and they have to stop him and save the world. So what do you guys think?”

The reaction Lincoln got was not what he was expecting, as his sisters looked lost and confused from his description of the movie.

“Soooo it’s based on Goldilocks?” Lori finally said, breaking the awkward silence. “Wow…they sure got a lot out of a story about a little girl who eats food, sits in chairs, and sleeps in beds.”

When put that way, it did sound kind of silly, made more apparent by the rest of the sisters save for Lisa and Lucy giggling and chuckling. This left Lincoln to fend for himself, though he himself was wearing a bit of a half scowl on his face.

“Okay…” he said. “So it isn’t so much based on Goldilocks and the Three Bears as it is loosely inspired by it.” Despite this, he returned back to being excited and enthusiastic about, especially once he began listing the movie’s features and achievements, showing them on the tablet. “But seriously, it looks really good! It has everything! Romance, heart, action, adventure, and suspense! It’s a box-office darling, has a 97% rating on MoldyOnions.com, and there’s even Oscar buzz!”

“Fun!” Leni stated excitedly, with Lynn, Lana, Luan, and Lola exchanging some idle chatter over how good the movie sounded. Others, however, were still not quite convinced.

“Uh…I don’t know, bro.” Luna said apprehensively, rubbing the back of her head with one hand. “Isn’t that a kid’s movie?”

Family movie, Luna.” Lincoln corrected. “Big difference.” A sly smirk then came to his face, knowing just what buttons to push to convince his rock loving, head banging sister. “Besides…did I mention it was a musical written in the style of a rock opera?” In an instant, Luna’s eyes brightened as well as her smile. Lisa’s and Lucy’s…didn’t.

“Nice try, Lincoln.” Lisa said with her nose held high and her arms crossed over her chest. “But it will take far more than that to convince me of subjecting myself to a cavalcade of primary colors and outdated, nauseating fairy tale clichés.”

“Then don’t!” Lincoln said proudly as he showed Lisa several user reviews of the movie on the tablet. “Golden doesn’t just subvert tired and overused tropes and clichés; it vilifies both them and the writers who still cling to them!”

“Hmmm…” Lisa pondered, rubbing her chin as she scrolled down the glowing review of how the movie stood out from other fairy tales and gladly made fun of their own company’s overused tropes, especially the one where characters fall in love with the first person they see for no evident reason other than ‘he’s the love interest.’ She had to admit, it looked impressive. “…well played.”

With that, Lincoln turned his attention toward Lucy, the one sibling who hadn’t agreed yet.

“I know what you want me to say.” Lucy said flatly. “But it won’t happen. There’s nothing a movie about singing animals and knights in shining armor has to offer my tormented soul.” Ever ready at the helm, Lincoln showed on the tablet a video YouView with over 500 MILLION hits, roughly four minutes long and titled ‘Burn It All’ with the red dragon on the poster perched atop a dark tower with lightning striking and thunder rolling in the background.

“Not even for an award-winning villain song, performed by none other than British thespian and over-actor extraordinaire Tom Cumin?” he said enticingly. “Did I mention he plays the Evil Dragon King and that the song takes place in his castle of darkness while surrounded by hordes of demons and the undead?”
    Lucy stood still and silent for what seemed like an eternity, the Louds watching intently as they awaited her answer. Finally, after a long and uncomfortable silence, the little emo spoke.

“…dang it.”

Lori then blew the whistle yet again. “It’s settled then!” She said demandingly, returning back to her bossy mode. “Loud Family, go get ready! Vanzilla leaves at eleven on the dot! Any Loud who falls behind gets LEFT behind!”

With that, the nine remain Louds all made a mad dash in different directions, some going to change their clothes (or in Lincoln’s case, put some on) while others went to freshen up. Either way, everyone was getting prepped for the day ahead of them. So excited they were that they outright forgot what they were doing earlier. Especially Lincoln, who forgot to turn the TV off, which was playing the last bit of news for the morning…

“And in other news…” the anchor lady said. “It’s been three weeks since Superman left Metropolis under the care of Supergirl, Cyborg, and Green Lantern and began his trek across America! Shortly after defeating Manchester Black and the Elite almost a month ago, Superman announced that he felt detached from humanity and the people of the world, especially those in the United States, and that this journey would be an attempt to re-ground himself down to Earth. Apparently the Man of Steel really gets around, as he’s been spotted in places like Jump City, Gotham, Arlen, Beach City, and even the small town of Gravity Falls, Oregon! Keep your eyes peeled, for you never know where Krypton’s Last Son may show up next. And now, the weather.”

“IT’S GONNA RAIN!!!”
    End Chapter One
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Good start. You did a great job capturing each loud siblings. Is that last paragraph a nod to superman:grounded storyline? I loved the nod to others shows. The Loud House, DC, King of the Hill, Beach City, and Gravity Falls. Now there's a shared universe I'd like to see
    Check out my stories
    https://www.jabarchives.com/tjaforum...sumtember-2019

Comment

It's a terrifically fun start to the tale. Nice way to make sure the parents don't get in the way and that Lily is well tended to throughout – though in truth even when the parents are home they pay less attention to their kids than the Rugrats' parents.

Also, nice shots at writing and tropes, and I love what you did with Lincoln's movie choice, covering all of the angles that every one of his sisters could appreciate. It's very much like Lincoln to put his heart into making sure his sisters are happy and get along (perhaps for sanity preservation, yes, but I think a lot of it is love). "Golden" actually sounds like an awesome idea, especially with the reviews about the writing and the various types of scenes. Also you nearly killed me with "Tom Cumin" because I just saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show again very recently.

My only two issues are (a) punctuation, such as semicolons to separate "sentence lists," a run-on or two, and a few that were obviously typos; and (b) negatively charged ionic psychoplasma affects the Higgs field by dampening inertia in the non-zero virtual energy stream, so it would be a very poor choice for use in controlled acceleration. (However if you wanted to instantly bind a mass to the "motion" of the cosmic background radiation and watch it tear off at c, destroying everything in its path, then that would work just fine.)

Anyway, it's a terrific start, and I'm curious to see which attributes of humanity Superman will get more in touch with after meeting this very Loud group of children, especially after the list of cities he's already visited.

Comment

Originally posted by thatguywiththefaceOG View Post
        Good start. You did a great job capturing each loud siblings. Is that last paragraph a nod to superman:grounded storyline? I loved the nod to others shows. The Loud House, DC, King of the Hill, Beach City, and Gravity Falls. Now there's a shared universe I'd like to see
        Thank you. I do my best to keep characters from cartoons IN character whenever I write, as I sternly believe that once any character isn't true to themselves for even a second, the magic dies and thus the story dies. The nod at the end was actually toward two things. One was, as you guessed, Superman: Grounded, which I always thought was a good idea but the execution left a lot to be desired. The other nod was the story "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" which was later adapted into the animated movie "Superman vs the Elite," which I can't recommend enough. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's wonderful, and honestly my favorite Superman anything.

Originally posted by FairySlayer
        It's a terrifically fun start to the tale. Nice way to make sure the parents don't get in the way and that Lily is well tended to throughout – though in truth even when the parents are home they pay less attention to their kids than the Rugrats' parents.
        Thank you. And yeah, what is it with cartoon characters and non-attentive or in some cases outright stupid parents? I thought the Flynns were bad, but the Louds? Yikes. I think the kids are raising themselves. As for writing them out, yeah, didn't have much for them to do without them ending up getting in the way. And while Lily is adorable, her jokes are pretty one-note. To be fair she is a baby, but still. Had to put her somewhere without it seeming cheap but I couldn't really do anything with her at the same time. So I left her in the hands of Clyde's parents, who are obviously very good dads as seen in "Overnight Success."

Also, nice shots at writing and tropes, and I love what you did with Lincoln's movie choice, covering all of the angles that every one of his sisters could appreciate. It's very much like Lincoln to put his heart into making sure his sisters are happy and get along (perhaps for sanity preservation, yes, but I think a lot of it is love). "Golden" actually sounds like an awesome idea, especially with the reviews about the writing and the various types of scenes. Also you nearly killed me with "Tom Cumin" because I just saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show again very recently.
        I love Lincoln. If I could alter time and reality and trade my actual younger brother for Linc, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I think you're right. While some of his motivations involve self-preservation in some form or another (physical, mental, etc.) the vast majority of his actions are done out of love for his sisters. And it's obvious they love him back, even though some of them have...interesting ways of showing it. (Eewwwww. >_<) And glad you like the Loud-world stand in for both a Disney movie and Tim Curry. XD And now, for my favorite part; constructive criticism!

My only two issues are (a) punctuation, such as semicolons to separate "sentence lists," a run-on or two, and a few that were obviously typos; and (b) negatively charged ionic psychoplasma affects the Higgs field by dampening inertia in the non-zero virtual energy stream, so it would be a very poor choice for use in controlled acceleration. (However if you wanted to instantly bind a mass to the "motion" of the cosmic background radiation and watch it tear off at c, destroying everything in its path, then that would work just fine.)
        A.) Yeah, run-on sentences is something I've always had a problem with, especially when I was a kid. See, I write just like I talk, and one of the many nicknames I had back in the day was 'Motor Mouth.' So yeah, definitely need to work on that. Typos, yeah, always seem to have those even when I go over it with a fine-toothed comb. As for the semi-colon...that's where things get kind of weird. I don't know if Microsoft Word is designed like this or if there's just something wrong with my version, but every once in a while it will insist that I replace a "..." with a semi-colon because...reasons.

B.) To be perfectly honest? I was just trying to sound techno-babbley. Hell, I didn't even know psychoplasma was even a thing. XD I majored in human anatomy, advanced science and particle physics not so much. Though in my defense, considering how many of Lisa's experiments go south, maybe my mistake fits the context. Regardless, thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, it's a terrific start, and I'm curious to see which attributes of humanity Superman will get more in touch with after meeting this very Loud group of children, especially after the list of cities he's already visited.
        Glad you enjoyed it. And yeah, one thing I intend to do with this story is to show that it isn't just his powers and abilities that make Superman 'super.' Remember how everyone used to complain that the Superman movies never had Superman punch anyone? Well, nowadays they seem to be going the other end of the extreme, portraying Superman as a living weapon of mass destruction and nothing else. So I want to, among other things, show his softer side. Especially later in the story when...well, I don't want to spoil anything, but after the first couple chapters things will get...intense. If I could describe the tone I want to set in the later parts of this story then it would be sad, but optimistic. Nowhere near the levels of bleakness like that found in Game of Thrones or that garbage fire that was Batman v Superman. To paraphrase a great entertainer, if there's no room for fun or jest the characters will just look like they need some rest, and leave the readers depressed enough to head for the bar.
        Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Katie View Post
          Hell, I didn't even know psychoplasma was even a thing.
          As far as I know, it's not — but after critiquing your mechanics I decided to throw in a little technobabble bathos of my own to lighten the mood. As for the kids raising themselves, I think the bulk of that falls on Lori and Lincoln. (I haven't seen the newer episodes yet but did hear about Clyde's great dads.)

Anyway, as always, I would be happy (and honored) to proofread for you, with whatever level of additional comments you'd care for. I'm even free for chat most of the time. (And to be clear, it doesn't obligate you to do the same for me.*) If anything, it means I'll get to your chapters more quickly.

Since I'm not nearly as familiar with all of the intricacies of Superman as you or most comic book fans are I'm really chomping at the bit to find out what he does to come to terms with his own humanity. I never thought much about the potential for that in the comics (etc.) before, but now that you are working on it the idea really has me hooked.

* In fact, despite the fact that we both have a deep love for Lincoln, you may actually find what I have in mind for him in my tale rather cruel — even worse than the Dutch oven — yet I do promise there's a purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by FairySlayer View Post
            * In fact, despite the fact that we both have a deep love for Lincoln, you may actually find what I have in mind for him in my tale rather cruel — even worse than the Dutch oven — yet I do promise there's a purpose.
            Poor Linc. Well, as long as there's a purpose as you say, then I'll give it a shot. Until then, here's the next chapter! ^_^

The Loud House
            Brother Dearest
            Chapter Two
            Burning For You

Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Kindly couple.

“Watch where you’re going, jerk!”
            “Sorry!”
            “Move it, klutz!”
            “I’m sorry, I-WHOA-oof!”

Those words were the last that Roberto ‘Bobby’ Santiago would have used to describe the clumsy, four-eyed, suited and tied, gangly dweeb of a man he just watched take a pratfall from missing the ‘wet floor’ sign, losing his shopping bags and an explosion of new clothes erupting from them and then getting everywhere. The scene went from comical to pathetic when the man began to vainly fumble about the ground in search of his glasses, which had been carelessly kicked by a passing patron and had slid to his feet. Bobby had seen some sad shoppers during his brief time as a mall cop at the Royal Woods Mall, but this guy took the cake, the muffins, and the scones. Picking up the glasses, he then spoke into his walkie-talkie.

“Santiago to base.” He said. “Going to have to take a mulligan on that coffee run. We got a 12-78 on our hands.”

“Copy that.” came the voice of his boss. “That’s a werewolf attack, right?”

“No, that’s a 15-12.” Bobby said. “A 12-78 is an awkward and clumsy shopper who doesn’t know where he’s going,” said Bobby as he wore a confused look once he realized what he had just said. “…both of which are weirdly specific for codes.”

“That’s the mall for ya, Santiago,” said the boss. “You never know what dangers lay in the world of consumerism. Base, out.”

“10-4.” Bobby replied, sheathing his radio and stepping toward the man in squinting distress. “Excuse me, sir?” he said politely, presenting the glasses. “I believe these are yours?”
            The man, with black combed-over hair and a slight tan to his skin, looked up through squinted eyes at Bobby and was all too happy to take his glasses back.

“Ah, thank you.” He said as he stood back up to don his glasses and collect himself, and…was actually much taller than Bobby had initially thought. “Much better. Thanks again. I’m as blind as a bat without these things.”

“No problem, sir.” Bobby said as he offered his hand. “Roberto Santiago, mall cop. Call me Bobby.”

“Oh, hi!” he said, almost forgetting to introduce himself as he took Bobby’s hand and shook it. “Clark Kent, nice to meet you.”

“Need a hand?” said Bobby, gesturing toward the mess of men’s clothing all over the ground.

“That would be great, thanks.” Said Clark as they both began to gather the freshly purchased clothing and put them back into their bags. As they did so, the ever-so friendly Bobby made some idle chit-chat.

“So what’s with all the clothes?” he asked as he folded a shirt, rather haphazardly at that. “Got a moth problem, or something?”

“Not quite.” Clark said as they gathered the last of some socks. “See, I’m from out of town, and the dryer at the hotel I’m staying at went haywire and destroyed most of my clothes. So, uh, yeah…I need new ones.”

“Let me guess.” Bobby chuckled, setting aside a full bag before standing back up. “The Tan Oak Resort?”

“Well, yes…” said a surprised Clark, picking up the now full bags. “How did you know?”

“I was a pool boy there last summer,” said Bobby. “It’s a nice place, but the laundry room always had problems.”

“Heh heh…good to know.” Clark awkwardly laughed off. “Suppose that would have been helpful beforehand, but, you know. Hindsight and all…anyway, thanks for bringing my glasses back, and for helping me with my stuff.”

“No problem, Mr. Kent.” Bobby said, giving a casual solute. “Just doing my job. Anything else I can help you with?”

“Actually…there is.” Clark said after a moment of thinking. “I’m embarrassed to admit it, but this mall is bigger than I thought it was, and I’m kind of lost. Could you direct me to the exit?”

“No problem!” said Bobby. “In fact, I’ll walk you there myself. Got to make a coffee run anyway, and the coffee shop here…” he shrugged, looking for a nice way to say it but finding none. “Well, it kinda sucks.”

“Lead the way.” Clark smiled.
            Elsewhere, across town…

The doors of cinema six opened inside the Royal Woods Theater and out poured a few dozen pleased moviegoers chatting about the film. Among them was a salty looking 30-something man clad in a black sports coat and hat, white shirt, jeans, a red tie, and glasses, wearing a most disinterested and perturbed look as he headed for the exit.

“Great…” he said to himself in a bitter and sarcastic tone. “Can’t wait to tell the Internet that I didn’t like this as much as everyone else did.”

Also among the chatty crowd were the Louds, who couldn’t be more pleased with themselves. Why wouldn’t they be? Their bellies were filled with pizza, complementary breadsticks and three kinds of dipping sauces, popcorn, candy, and soda, and they had just enjoyed a very entertaining movie. A movie that they were still chatting about even after it was over.

“Well Lincoln, I got to admit,” Lori said with a smile. “That was a good choice.”

“Totally!” said Lynn, giving her bro a love-punch and then preceded to shadow-box, miming the fight scenes. “Loved the chase scenes, and the final battle was just awesome!”

“What about Kurt Hammer and Smash as the bards?” Luna added with a grin before throwing the goats in the air. “Best. Cameos. EVER!”

“I must commend the writing prowess of the creative ensemble behind this animated picture.” Said Lisa. “These days it seems impossible for writers to make a character relatable without turning them into morose downers. No offense intended, Lucy.”

“Burn it all…” Lucy droned on. “Burn it all…the cinder and ashes will bury the world…”

“What’s wrong, Lucy?” said a confused and concerned Leni. “Didn’t you like the movie?”

“I absolutely loved it…” said Lucy in a tone that didn’t fit her statement at all. “But that song is never going to leave my head.”

As the Loud sisters gave their praises of the movie, Lincoln couldn’t help but grow a big head, standing proudly with his hands on his hips and a slightly smug smile on his face. He couldn’t help but feel proud of himself, having both watched a movie he loved and made his sisters happy.

“Well…” he said with a proud, accomplished air about him. “What can I say? I don’t always pick movies, but when I do, I-uuuuggghhhh…”

Suddenly Lincoln’s words died in his mouth as he became physically ill. His vision began spinning, everything he saw splotched with black, blue, and red dots that became more vivid as he grew nauseatingly dizzy. His hearing was taken over by a severe, piercing ringing sound, and his sense of smell was dominated by what he could best describe as a garbage bag filled with turpentine and Lily’s diapers that had been set on fire. On top of that his head began to throb as though he was running a 101 fever, and his legs had become jelly beneath him. His sudden change in condition did not go unnoticed, and the moment he began to stumble his sisters immediately shot into their protective ‘help their brother’ mindsets.

“Lincoln!” they cried out as they rushed to his aid, Luna and Leni catching him before he fell while Lucy and Luan fanned him off. They then promptly escorted him toward a nearby bench, sitting him down and making sure he didn’t fall off. Luna and Leni sat on either side of him, while Lori took charge and began barking orders at everyone.

“Luan, water!” Lori commanded, Luan dashing toward the concession stand. “Luna and Leni, keep him steady! Lisa, check his vitals! Everyone else, give him air!”
            No sooner did Luan get back with some water, Lincoln’s ailment began to pass just as suddenly as it appeared. His vision cleared, his hearing returned, and the pounding in his head subsided. As he glugged down the water that Luan brought him, his nausea ebbed away as well as his dizziness.

“Whew…” he sighed in relief. “That was weird…I guess I got too excited.”

“You okay, bro?” Luna asked with worry in her eyes.

“Quick!” said Leni in a hurried tone as she held both her thumbs up. “How many fingers am I holding up?”

The other Louds groaned, Lincoln looking the most disinterested and at this point outright annoyed. Though he appreciated that his sisters had his back, but he was all too familiar with how overzealous they could be when it came to protecting and caring for him. Not to mention their habit of sometimes making things worse, even though it was hardly their intention. He gently shoved Leni’s hands away as he stood back up, facing his sisters head on with his chest puffed as much as he could muster.

“Two things.” Lincoln said sternly. “First of all, Leni? Those are your thumbs and you’re holding up two. Second, I’m fine! We all had a lot of fun and it just went to my head.”

“I staunchly disagree.” Lisa said dismissively. She was holding a smartphone that displayed all of Lincoln’s vitals, even down to a display of his circulatory system. “Though I’m sure the excitement certainly didn’t help, your pulse is erratic, your core temperate appears to have spiked during your inexplicable dizzy spell, and your bladder is well beyond its’ maximum capacity. And don’t even get me started on your digestive tract.” She looked at him with an accusatory and condescending look in her eyes. “You really need to eat more fiber, Lincoln. Keep this up and your will be spending your 16th birthday receiving a colonoscopy.”

“Uh…Lisa?” Lincoln said worriedly as he pointed at the phone Lisa held. “What is that?”

“I converted Lori’s old phone to a prototype family healthcare analysis and monitoring device.” Lisa said as she put it back in her pocket. “It monitors the physical health of the entire Loud family, including mom and dad. Once I figure out how to monitor brain activity and come up with a decent acronym, I plan to put a patent on it.”

At this point, now all the Louds were uneasy. They all had been subjected to Lisa’s experiments more than once, often with disastrous results.

“So…” Lynn prodded. “How does it work?”

“I had all of you injected with nano-bots that travel through your circulatory and digestive systems and scan for any abnormalities, irregularities, and as referred to in pediatrics, general boo-boos.” Lisa said, adjusting her glasses and seeing the obvious distress and dread in her brother and sisters. “Don’t worry. It was a harmless, completely non-invasive procedure. Didn’t leave a single mark.”

The Louds all then collectively sighed in relief, though Lynn still wasn’t entirely satisfied.

“Okay…” Lynn pressed on. “So, these nano…things. How’d you get them in us without anybody knowing? What, did you put them in our food, or…”

“I had everyone rectally probed while you were all asleep.”

This revelation caused a wave of cringe to plague the Louds, flexing and tensing every muscle south of their lower abdominals in reflex. A mix of shock, betrayal, and disgust ran through them, especially in Lola.

“Gross!” Lola exclaimed with her eyes narrowed and scorn in her voice, grabbing her rear with both hands as if protecting it from something. “You put tiny little robots in our BUTTS!?”

“I’m into some dark, unpleasant things…” Lucy added. “But even I draw the line at unwanted butt intrusion.”

Back and forth the Louds bickered and argued over the matter, Lisa defending her actions and standing firm on them. For several moments this went on, Lincoln staying silent the whole time. Lincoln was about to interject, but suddenly a very different feeling overtook him. He gritted his teeth, covered her groin with both hands, and crossed his legs. His change in posture did not go unnoticed, and instantly his sisters arguing came to a screeching halt.

“What’s wrong?” Leni asked. “Is it Lisa’s butt-bots?”

“No…” Lincoln said with a strained voice. “Lisa’s right though. I’ve been holding it since the second act, and now I’m regretting it. See you in the van!”

With that, Lincoln made a mad dash toward the bathroom, which was clear on the other end of the theater because of course it was. Though the discussion of his sudden dizzy spell had passed, Luan, Luna, and Lucy were still not convinced. Truth of the matter is that this seemed to be happening to him a lot as of late, and despite his best efforts to keep them to himself it did not go unnoticed by them. Exchanging a few signaling glances, they silently agreed to take matters into their own hands. Luna then mimicked the very same pose Lincoln did a moment ago.

“I gotta go too.” She said through gritted teeth. “That extra-large Pitt is about to make an encore.”

Luna too then B-lined for the restrooms, and right on cue came Lori’s annoyed sigh.

“Does anyone else have to go?” she said. Luan and Lucy both raised their hands, while Lola, Lisa, and Leni either said and did nothing or stated that they were fine. Lana, meanwhile, was much more up front about her need to use the bathroom, or lack thereof.

“I’m good!” Lana said, way too proud of herself. “I went in the corner during the love scene. Had curtains and everything!”

The entire present Loud family gasped and groaned, utterly revolted at what they just heard. Though given that it was Lana, not all that surprising.

“Lana? That’s disgusting!” Lori said firmly. “Lucy and Luan? You have ten minutes. Everyone else, in the van!”

With that, the Louds went about their business, Luan and Lucy following Luna and the rest heading for the exit. But while Lincoln was doing his business, in the now empty cinema an usher was doing business of his own. A long haired, stubble-faced 20-something who really, really hated his job. He wasn’t even halfway through the theater yet and already his garbage can was nearly full. Most of the garbage he picked up wasn’t even from the theater, from fast food to beer cans and god knew what else.

“Stupid people…” he grumbled as he made his way toward the corner. “Stupid trash. Would it kill them to take it out to the-” he suddenly stepped in something that made a soft, unpleasant squish, and he froze in place at the thought of what it could be.

“Please tell me that’s just nachos…” he pleaded to himself. He then looked down at his foot and was appalled. It wasn’t nachos. “UGH! NASTY!” He scraped his foot off on the carpet as best he could and stepped away from the offending mess, then he reached into his pocket and produced a pack of cigarettes and some matches. “I’m going to need a smoke before I clean that up…”

The disgruntled, jaded usher lit himself a cigarette and then tossed the match into his garbage can. However, in his disgusted and horrid mood, he failed to notice that the match wasn’t quite extinguished. The trash can was mostly full, and contained all manner of flammable material. Empty popcorn boxes, discarded food wrappers, stray movie tickets, and much more. The usher didn’t take two puffs of his cigarette before the can burst into flames.

“Oh shit!” he cried out. In a panic, he kicked the garbage can over and spread the burning garbage all over the run. He tried stomping it out, but in a matter of moments not only did his shoes catch fire but the flames had also traveled across the carpet. Seats were going up in a blaze, and the flames were now traveling up the back walls. The usher then gave up the ghost, kicking his burning shoes off and B-lined toward the emergency exit. Before making his escape, he uttered four words that, for the situation, rang painfully true.

“I am so fired!”
            Just outside the bathroom door…

The door to the men’s room swung open, and out came a very relieved Lincoln.

“Whew…” he sighed, wiping some sweat off his brow. “Almost didn’t make it.” It was then that he noticed that Luna was waiting for him, leaning against the wall with her arms folded over her chest. “Oh, hey Luna…” It was then he noticed that Luna had an air of pensiveness about her. She looked at Lincoln with a stern and determined look in her eyes, yet at the same time she seemed…sad. That immediately worried Lincoln. Luna was one of the Louds where when she was worried about something, it had to be bad. “…what’s wrong?”

“We need to talk, dude.” Luna said, unfolding her arms and stepping toward Lincoln.

“Okay…” Lincoln said with some slight apprehension. “About what? Can’t it wait until we get home?”

“No it can’t.”

“GYAAAAH!” both Lincoln and Luna cried out in fright at Lucy’s sudden appearance, Lincoln leaping into Luna’s arms. This wasn’t the first time that Lucy had snuck up on her siblings and scared them half to death, and it most certainly wasn’t going to be the last. One would think that they would have been used to this by now, but it seemed to get them every time. Though Luna was more shocked than usual.

“Geeze, Luc!” Luna said as she cradled Lincoln in her arms, both of them catching their breath. “I was looking right at you! How did you do that!?”

“Does it matter?” Lucy said stoically, stepping closer toward her siblings as Luna let Lincoln back down. “We’re here to talk about Lincoln. All three of us.”

“Talk about what?” Lincoln pressed on, beginning to grow annoyed...and mildly confused. “Wait, three? But there are only two of you.”

Just then the door to the girl’s room opened, and out stepped Luan with a slightly sheepish look on her face.

“Sorry…” she said through a chuckle. “I came to talk, but…yeah, I had to pee too.”

“What’s going on!?” Lincoln blurted out in exasperation, his arms in the air as he vented his bubbling frustration. “What, what did I do? Is it about those mangas I bought from that kid at school last week? For the last time, I thought the ‘adults only’ label meant that it only starred adults!”

Luan then walked right at Lincoln and put her hands on his shoulders, looking him in the eyes not with accusation…but with concern. Deep, heartfelt concern, just like what Luna had. Lucy as well, though you couldn’t tell through her hair covering half her face.

“It’s not about that, Lincoln.” Luan said in a calm and caring tone. “It’s about you.”

“We’re worried about you, bro.” said Luna. Now it was Lincoln’s turn to be worried.

“Why?” he asked.

“What happened to you after the movie?” Lucy asked.

“Well…I don’t know.” Lincoln said with a shrug. “I guess I just got a bit dizzy.” His sisters weren’t convinced.

“That doesn’t just happen, Lincoln.” Said Luan, taking her hands off him. “Besides, you’ve been having these weird dizzy spells for a while now. In fact, this is the third one this week!”

She was right. For the past month and a half or so, Lincoln had been getting sudden, unexplained dizzy spells. Sometimes after a strenuous activity like cleaning the attic or wrestling with Lynn, sometimes after something completely menial and ordinary like stepping out of the shower. In truth, Lincoln thought nothing of them. Though when he thought about it, he had to admit that they had been getting steadily worse and more numerous. They started off lasting maybe a second or two of dizziness and that’s it, but as time went on they got increasingly worse. Especially over this last week, lasting longer and coming with temporary loss of vision and other such unexplained effects. Still, he wasn’t quite convinced of any potential danger.

“Come on…” he said, waving his hand in a dismissive gesture. “So I get a bit dizzy sometimes. What’s the big deal?”

“We don’t know, dude!” said Luna. “We aren’t doctors. Maybe you’re right, maybe it’s nothing. But it could be something serious.”

Gravely serious.” Lucy added.

“We know you hate it when we meddle in your business, Lincoln.” Luan interjected. “That’s why it’s only us instead of everyone. I know we can get annoying and even overbearing at times, but…it’s only because we love you. We don’t want anything bad to happen to you.”

Now things were starting to get uncomfortable. This was quite possibly the longest time Lincoln heard Luan go without cracking a single joke. Not even a pun! They must have been serious.

“Totally, bro.” said Luan, a smile coming through her worried demeanor. She kneeled down so that her eyes were level with Lincoln’s, looking straight into his. “You’re my baby brother, and Luan’s too. We both held you in our arms when you were born, dude. I sang you to sleep until you were seven years old. If something bad happened to you, I’d be singing the blues for the rest of my life.”

“My sense of humor would be swept off the stage.” Said Luan.

“I’m dead inside…” Lucy said in a flat, lifeless tone…but somewhere in the back was a note of sadness. Sadness that was completely genuine and not her usual darkness that made up her day-to-day lifestyle. “But if we lost you….I scare myself to think of what I might do.”

Lincoln was…genuinely stuck. There they were, three of his sisters pouring their worried hearts out in front of him…and he didn’t know what to do. Part of him told him to bolt for the van and then hide in his room once he got home, but another part of him knew that would just be avoiding the problem instead of solving it. It was instinct, of course. His sisters had gotten over-involved in his affairs before and had made bad situations worse, though they certainly didn’t mean to. As a result, he avoided talking about his problems around them, whether it was his underwear being too tight or even having so much as a stomach-ache. Still, they were right. They did those things because they cared about him, and thinking about it…well, it did tug at the heartstrings a bit. Lincoln took a deep breath, faced his sisters, and spoke in a calm, but slightly defeated tone.

“Okay…” he sighed. “I’ll talk to Lori. If this happens one more time, we’ll call the doctor and make an appointment as soon as we can.”

This brought smiles to the faces of his sisters, feeling light on their feet as the thought of finally getting through to Lincoln settled in their minds. Their smiles immediately faded and were replaced with surprise when Lincoln spoke up.

“But on ONE condition!” Lincoln said confidently, one finger held high. “After we visit the doctor, we stop for ice-cream…”

“Sure, dude.” Luna said with a shrug. “I mean, we can do that whenever we want, but-”

“I’m not finished!” Lincoln said in a sly, slightly sing-song tone. “We stop for ice-cream…at Big Luigi’s! And I want a triple-scoop of Nero’s Pride.”

Luna, Luan, and Lucy’s jaws hung agape, their eyes wide with a mix of shock and horror. Big Luigi’s was a gourmet sweet shop in town, and their main draw was Italian ice-cream that actually came from Italy! What’s more, Nero’s Pride was a triple-chocolate-fudge ice-cream with white chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, dark chocolate chips, chunks of brownies and fudge, AND rum-raisins throughout. It was pure unmitigated decadence, and at a whopping ten dollars per scoop it was their most expensive item on their menu. A triple-scoop of anything at Big Luigi’s was a wallet breaker, but Nero’s Pride? That was over a month’s worth of allowance…for three!

“Single scoop!” Luna countered, to Luan’s confusion.

“Triple scoop!” Lincoln retained, standing firm.

“Single scoop and a side of black licorice?” Lucy offered, making Lincoln shudder.

“Lucy!” Luan said, interjecting. “Lincoln hates licorice!”

“Dang it…” Lucy droned.

“Triple scoop…” Lincoln repeated, crossing his arms and averting his gaze from his sisters. “Or no deal!”

“Wow...” Luan interjected, showing slight disappointment in Luna and Lucy’s negotiation skills, or lack thereof. “You two are bad at this! Here…” she said with a smile as she adjusted an imaginary bow-tie. “Watch a professional at work.”

Luan then closed the gap between her brother, Luna and Lucy watching the scene unfold before them. Luan put her hands on her hips, standing with firm fortitude.

“Double scoop…” she said sternly at first, but then her voice shifted to that of an inviting, enticing tone and wearing a smirk to match. “…and we’ll make it a waffle cone.”

Luna and Lucy watched with slightly bated breath as Lincoln stood, unrelenting in his stance…save for his eyes, darting toward Luan though his head stayed in place.

“…with sprinkles?” he asked.

“Chocolate and rainbow!” Luan said with a winning smile…which she immediately ruined with a terrible pun. “Be polite to the doctor and we’ll even thrown in a frozen banana, and that’s a prom-ICE!” Luna and Lucy groaned, Luan laughing at her own joke all the same. “Get it?”

“Luan?” Lincoln said, his stance not faltering in the slightest. “The bargains you drive are as hard as your puns are to take…” Just then he broke his unrelenting position, smiled, and offered his hand in agreement. “But you’ve got a deal!”

“Glad we could reach a compromise!” said Luan as she shook her brother’s hand, Luna and Lucy both sighing in relief. But instead of letting his hand go, Luan simply pulled Lincoln in closer and opened her other arm. “Now give me a hug, you extortionist little booger!”

What else could he do? Lincoln gave Luan a hug, and no sooner did Luan return the embrace were they joined by two other pairs of arms. Luna and Lucy, naturally. Not that he was complaining. Group hugs were part of everyday life for the only boy of eleven kids. But if there was one thing he could complain about, it was the astringent, pungent, smoky, and vaguely nauseating smell that suddenly wafted in his nose, causing Lincoln to suddenly break the embrace and take some fast steps back.

“Ugh!” Lincoln groaned, his eyes watering slightly as their gaze was fixed on Luna. “Geeze, Luna, go easy on the perfume! What is that, anyway? Aroma du garbage fire?”

“Huh?” Luna said with a bewildered look. “I’m not wearing any perfu-” Luna’s words then died in her mouth as she caught of a whiff of the stench as well, holding her hand over her nose in reflex. “Ah man, what is that? Smells like Chinese Democracy in here!”

“Pee-ew!” Luan said, fanning herself with a peeved look. “Now that’s a stench of bad comedy proportions, and I’ve seen some real stinkers!”
            While Lincoln, Luna, and Luan debated what the smell was, Lucy had a sinking feeling grow in the pit of her stomach as she identified the different scents in the air. Plastics, paints, carpet fibers, various food-stuffs, and untold amounts of wood…all burning. Turning her head toward the end of the hall from where they came, her suspicious were confirmed as think, dark smoke began filling the room.

“The theater is on fire.” Lucy said nonchalantly.
            Elsewhere, in the mall parking lot…

“So…you said you were from Metropolis?” Bobby asked with a curious tone as Clark put the last bag in the trunk of his car.

“I did,” said Clark as he closed the trunk. “I grew up in Kansas, actually. But I’ve lived in the city for most of my adult life now. Why do you ask?”

“Know any places to go for a romantic dinner?” Bobby asked casually, which threw Clark for a loop for a moment.

“Um…” Clark stammered, unsure of how to respond to such and upfront question. Bobby noticed almost immediately that Clark was uncomfortable, and was quick to respond.

“It’s not what you think!” Bobby said with a laugh. “C’mon man, I just met you! No, it’s for my girlfriend.”

“Oh, it’s not that…” said Clark. “Just…why would you ask me? I mean, I don’t look the romantic type, do I?”

“Well, you got a finger wrapped in gold…” said Bobby, alluding to Clark’s wedding band. “You tell me. Anyway, our one-year anniversary is coming up, and…well, I want to make it special, you know? Something we’ll remember for the rest of our lives, and all that schmaltzy stuff.”

Clark couldn’t help but smile. He saw a little piece of himself in Bobby, especially back in high school. Young love is a feeling like no other, infatuated with another person for the first time in your life. Of course Lois was the one for him, and even though he didn’t realize it he was no slouch when it came to wit and charm. After all, she fell in love with the man, not the other guy.

“What’s her name?” Clark asked.

“Lori,” said Bobby, before proceeding to gush over her. “And she’s the best! She’s beautiful, she’s funny, she takes charge, and she totally digs me!”

“Well, Bobby…” said Clark, showing off his wedding band. “I didn’t get this after dinner and a movie. Whether it’s at a greasy spoon or five star steakhouse, dinner is dinner. If you really want your one year anniversary to be unforgettable, you have to make it unforgettable.”

“How?” said Bobby. “Like, dress nice?”

“If you want, sure…” said Clark. “Looking your best helps, but being your best goes a lot farther. Treat her like a queen, and she’ll treat you like her king. Back when my wife and I were still just dating, for our one year anniversary I took her to the top of the tallest mountain on the outskirts of Metropolis. The night couldn’t be better. The full moon was out, we had a breathtaking view of both the city and the coastline, a bottle of champagne, and some sandwiches from our favorite deli.”

“Whoa…” Bobby said, awestruck. “You two hiked to the top of a mountain? Man, either she really loves hiking or she really loves you!”

“Um…yeah…” Clark said with an awkward chuckle, adjusting the color of his shirt. He almost let that one slip. “Hiking…”

“Well, thanks Mr. Kent!” Bobby said, already think of ideas for a romantic one year anniversary. “I’ll make it a night Lori will never forget.” Just then Bobby’s phone rang, and reading the caller ID his face beamed. “Hey, speak of the devil!” he said as she answered the phone. “Hey babe! How was the movie?”

Just then, Bobby’s face grew a confused, worried look, a panicked voice coming through on the other end.

“Hey hey, whoa, slow down…” Bobby said. He was clearly worried, and he grew increasingly more frantic as the phone call went on. “What’s wrong? …oh no…oh my god! Is everyone okay? …what!? They’re still inside!?”

“Is something wrong?” Clark asked, now growing concerned.

“Hang on, babe, I’ll be right there!” Bobby said in a hurried, panicked tone. “Sorry Mr. Kent, I got to go!”

Bobby then B-lined passed Clark and ran as fast as his legs could carry him toward the movie theater, and that’s when Clark finally noticed. There was smoke in the distance, right where Bobby was running. Other bystanders were watching as well, some scared and others shocked. But while they were all speculating what could be going wrong, Clark was figuring it out. Using his X-ray and telescopic vision, he saw the burning theater in the distance. More than half of it was up in flames, panicked civilians watching in horror. Among them seven young girls, all who looked horrified and some on the verge of tears. Scanning the building itself, Clark was relieved to find it empty…save for four people, three girls and a boy, making a frantic escape attempt. Looking off to the side, Clark could see that the nearest fire department was a good ten minutes away, despite the trucks already on their way. It wasn’t going to be enough.

In that instant, Clark’s awkward persona and wimpy demeanor completely vanished. He stood tall, proud, and had an air of confidence like that of a concrete elephant. While others watched the smoke rise in the distance, Clark quickly and discreetly ducked into a nearby alley, where no prying eyes or rolling cameras could see him. Once out of sight he took off his glasses, removed his tie, and tore his shirt open to reveal a mighty shield. The insignia of his house and a symbol of hope, one that the relatively small town of Royal Woods would soon come to know and never forget.

"“This looks like a job for Superman.”"
            End Chapter Two

Comment

First off, I must acknowledge you meeting Nickelodeon's one most-supremely-important demand of anyone who writes for one of their shows: the front-and-center poop joke. The series can't seem to have enough of them, so very fitting that you were able to work one into your tale and make it actually an important element to drive the plot.

Anyway, I love the way you introduced the lovable Man of Steel into the mix, and I found Bobby to be so sympathetic and sweet that I only love the guy more. Asking Clark Kent of all people for a certain kind of advice was the cherry on top – once I got over the fact that this is one of the few of a gazillion DC universes where Clark & Lois tied the knot. It was a bit of a shock when the gold band was pointed out, but I don't suppose The Exposition Channel would have mentioned that, especially since it's apparently Lois and Clark, not Superman. (Though I do wonder if there will be any added dynamic because Superman is taking time off from Lois as well during his Unite With Humanity thing. She's not always the most understanding, IIRC.) Clark's advice for Bobby was terrific, and the boy's reaction and excitement was yet even more endearing.

On the other side of the mall, the joyous movie-exit scene was nice, and I did recognize Doug's cameo, and you did a terrific job of transitioning from Lincoln's victorious feeling to one of his "attacks" and the growing worry among his sisters about the increasing frequency and intensity. What's really unnerving is that Lisa's butt-bots haven't located anything to help explain them (and considering how unnerving butt-bots are themselves that's really disturbing.

The idea of a select few of his sisters catching him away from the entire group so that he wouldn't feel as ganged-up-on was very sweet, as were each of the three girls' pleas for him to pay more attention to his problem. Nice negotiating skills, though too bad that the group hug was ruined because of never-washed greasy carpets, lack of sprinklers, and (indirectly but still substantially) Lana's excrement.

In the end, things converged very nicely and naturally. You wrote beautifully for the girls, with some especially nice bits for their unique personalities, and you handled Lincoln quite masterfully (just as they did, even if the ice cream is gonna cost them). Too bad about the e-mail snafu because my markup has lots of praise (and asides, some of which may even be worth a laugh) for the little things… plus a fair amount of actual corrections here and there. Even though you're not likely to change the posted versions now, should I try sending the marked-up copy to the e-mail address I have for you?

Anyway, terrific work. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the first interaction between Krypton's Last Son and the Loud's Only Son goes… and then how things fare beyond that. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
              X