Announcement

Collapse

Please consider supporting our server!

Do you enjoy parody artwork (rule 34?) We've been providing it to the new for over 24 years. It would be a great help if you could consider supporting us over at subscribestar! You can get there via this link https://subscribestar.adult/tjapalsupport , thanks so much for considering, every little bit helps!
See more
See less

Manila Portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manila Portfolio

Hey there, I just bought the Manila Portfolio (with big help from my friend Seth Triggs since TJA canīt accept Paypal anymore, thank you very much again ). And I have to say I really love it! Jimīs art is awesome as always and thereīs absolutely nothng I could complain about. It definitely was worth waiting every second And I really hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did

It's a bit disappointing

One, the cover. Papyrus font, no concept of what "contrast" means on an outline color, circa 1995 look. Really? What was that done in MS Word in five minutes? In this day and age, nobody can do better?

Second, the coloring. The otter just looks...scruffy, like colored with wax crayons.

Sorry, but I don't think it was worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by buggy_dream View Post
      One, the cover. Papyrus font, no concept of what "contrast" means on an outline color, circa 1995 look. Really? What was that done in MS Word in five minutes? In this day and age, nobody can do better?

Second, the coloring. The otter just looks...scruffy, like colored with wax crayons.

Sorry, but I don't think it was worth the wait.
      As Cheetah said, "...most don't really have a desire to share their creativity with people such as yourself... You're feeling as if any artist in the world owes you anything..." There's an old saying. Can't say something respectful, don't say it at all. All you're doing is a disresprcting amazing work as if you could do better. Some advice, If you don't like it, don't look. And keep your opinions to yourself.

Comment

I bought the download version and I must say, absolutly astounding work, Jim. I drove past the convention several times but got a chance to stop on by. That's the beauty of downloads, I guess. Anyhow, keep up the great work guys.

Comment

Originally posted by 2jeff4gordon View Post
          As Cheetah said, "...most don't really have a desire to share their creativity with people such as yourself... You're feeling as if any artist in the world owes you anything..." There's an old saying. Can't say something respectful, don't say it at all. All you're doing is a disresprcting amazing work as if you could do better. Some advice, If you don't like it, don't look. And keep your opinions to yourself.
          Disrespecting? Okay, dude, if it was art someone posted for free, I can see that.

But when you are SELLING IT FOR $20 FREAKING DOLLARS as VIRTUAL MEDIA, you need to do something called "EFFORT"! It's not a matter of looking, it's a matter of ripping off buyers. You're damn right the artist owes people something, because they ARE TAKING THEIR MONEY FOR A COPY OF IT!

Can't deal with that, don't sell your art! Once you sell it, it's a commodity whose quality can be reviewed to recommend to or warn other buyers against purchasing.

I tried being polite. But if you're going to go drooling fanboy on something someone is taking people's money for, I'm going to have to be a lot more blunt about it.

How's this for disrespectful? The cover is unmitigated SHIT. ANYONE in Design 101 could do better. Seriously, did that take five minutes?
          Last edited by ; 09-03-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I bought it for the art

And I am quite satisfied. These are some seriously detailed images. Hand (manually) hatched and colored backgrounds, and this actually appears like it's traditional art (that is, ink and maybe pencil).

I enjoyed it even though I tend to prefer my furries on the "anthro" scale versus feral, but this is well done in my opinion, and I gladly purchased it.

I was surprised by the lack of an HTML file to browse things with, but generally any OS has a capable picture browser. Though the way my system works the cover ends up last, heh... I think a browser would be a nice feature, though I have bought other portfolios without a browser too.

You did a bang-up job here Jim.

No pun intended.

-Seth

Comment

Originally posted by sethtriggs View Post
              And I am quite satisfied. These are some seriously detailed images. Hand (manually) hatched and colored backgrounds, and this actually appears like it's traditional art (that is, ink and maybe pencil).

I enjoyed it even though I tend to prefer my furries on the "anthro" scale versus feral, but this is well done in my opinion, and I gladly purchased it.

I was surprised by the lack of an HTML file to browse things with, but generally any OS has a capable picture browser. Though the way my system works the cover ends up last, heh... I think a browser would be a nice feature, though I have bought other portfolios without a browser too.

You did a bang-up job here Jim.

No pun intended.

-Seth
              Thanks! Yeah, everything I draw is done by hand. The only stuff I did digitally was the text on the cover and the scaled-down portions from the other images featured behind Manila.

I had toyed with the idea of making something like an HTML file for browsing the images, but figured most folks would probably just want the pictures (and likely not bother with the HTML page).

Glad you liked it, man!

Comment

Disrespecting? Okay, dude, if it was art someone posted for free, I can see that.

But when you are SELLING IT FOR $20 FREAKING DOLLARS as VIRTUAL MEDIA, you need to do something called "EFFORT"! It's not a matter of looking, it's a matter of ripping off buyers. You're damn right the artist owes people something, because they ARE TAKING THEIR MONEY FOR A COPY OF IT!

Can't deal with that, don't sell your art! Once you sell it, it's a commodity whose quality can be reviewed to recommend to or warn other buyers against purchasing.

I tried being polite. But if you're going to go drooling fanboy on something someone is taking people's money for, I'm going to have to be a lot more blunt about it.

How's this for disrespectful? The cover is unmitigated SHIT. ANYONE in Design 101 could do better. Seriously, did that take five minutes?
                Troll harder, chief. 0/10

Put some effort into it, man. Seriously, if I'm going to have to read through that wall of text, I should at least feel insulted a little bit.

Comment

Uhh... I just rebuilt my computer (Thank god for Windows Action Pack) and I went to download the folio again...It said file can not be found. Is this something on my end or connection with the internet. I know TWC had some issues but a poorly repaired line shouldn't be an issue, should it?

Comment

Geez guys. I didn't realize you were charging $20 for the single cover image...here I thought you were selling an entire portfolio of multiple images. :P

In all seriousness, congrats on getting the folio done! I seriously wish I had the chops for such real-medium methods...the fur looks so narfing fluffy!
                    "Zzzzzzzz...."Mab's Land and DMFA Comics

Comment

You know what it boils down to? If you don't think its worth the money then DON'T BUY IT. There are plenty of Jim's fans who like it and will buy it, myself included. I bought the download and the printed version. I like Jim's art. Thats just the way it is. Don't be a hater.

Comment

Anyone with Windows 7 and knows Windows Media Player, sample track 'Sleep Away' would be the perfect song for this. Then for the 'good' parts, well...haven't really decide on that one. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by MissMab View Post
                          Geez guys. I didn't realize you were charging $20 for the single cover image...here I thought you were selling an entire portfolio of multiple images. :P

In all seriousness, congrats on getting the folio done! I seriously wish I had the chops for such real-medium methods...the fur looks so narfing fluffy!
                          Glad you liked it! Wish I had more time to work on color stuff these days, but it's a bit of a rarity now. :/

Comment

Working...
                          X