Announcement

Collapse

Please consider supporting our server!

Do you enjoy parody artwork (rule 34?) We've been providing it to the new for over 24 years. It would be a great help if you could consider supporting us over at subscribestar! You can get there via this link https://subscribestar.adult/tjapalsupport , thanks so much for considering, every little bit helps!
See more
See less

ATTN WWOEC refugees, im bringing back WWOEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN WWOEC refugees, im bringing back WWOEC

Hello all its me cm0002, some of you know me or seen me around.
    What none of you know is that i own tons and tons of server equipment and have tons of hard drive space and i dont use 90% of it.

so when i found out about the fate of WWOEC this morning i was shocked and then i came across fairycosmos post about needing a new host, free or super cheap, and then it hit me like a truck, i could open up all my servers to the most awesome online community i've ever been apart of for free.

I've already been in contact with fairycosmo and sent an email to cobra and hopefully i can get a hold of the backups and then everything will be back to normal

Artists, writers, anybody with a page on the main wwoec, i need your help, to minimize the time im going to go ahead and spin up a server and get it ready for when i get an email back from cobra, i need your help with the following information:

When you made or maintained your webpages, what was the software in use that you saw that you used to manage your pages, was it like cPanel?
    and any other information you can tell me about the software you saw in use such as the vbulletin version and what nots.

just in case anything happens, i cant get the backups, the backups were lost etc. i have created a google drive folder that anyone can upload to, use the link below to upload any pics/stories to it and i will use it to recreate what was lost.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1E&usp=sharing

Guys, there is hope, our community will hopefully once again be online, this wont be the end of an era if theres anything i can do about it

Edit:
    And a special thank you and a shout out to cheetah and his forum for welcoming us in as well as PAL, i hope you don't take this as disrespectful when you welcomed us into your forum with welcome arms and you are all welcome to contribute any help.
    (sorry i should have included this in the original post.)
    Last edited by cm0002; 02-20-2016, 12:41 AM.

If you can't get the back ups, thats what we've been at for 21 years here bud Best of luck though.
    Cheetah - TJA Productions

Comment

Originally posted by cm0002 View Post
      What none of you know is that i own tons and tons of server equipment and have tons of hard drive space and i dont use 90% of it.

so when i found out about the fate of WWOEC this morning i was shocked and then i came across fairycosmos post about needing a new host, free or super cheap, and then it hit me like a truck, i could open up all my servers to the most awesome online community i've ever been apart of for free.

I've already been in contact with fairycosmo and sent an email to cobra and hopefully i can get a hold of the backups and then everything will be back to normal

Artists, writers, anybody with a page on the main wwoec, i need your help, to minimize the time im going to go ahead and spin up a server and get it ready for when i get an email back from cobra, i need your help with the following information:

When you made or maintained your webpages, what was the software in use that you saw that you used to manage your pages, was it like cPanel?
      and any other information you can tell me about the software you saw in use such as the vbulletin version and what nots.

just in case anything happens, i cant get the backups, the backups were lost etc. i have created a google drive folder that anyone can upload to, use the link below to upload any pics/stories to it and i will use it to recreate what was lost.

Guys, there is hope, our community will hopefully once again be online, this wont be the end of an era if theres anything i can do about it

Great news to hear that!

Comment

All I was given when I became an artist was an FTP access, which I used to install Wordpress for my site. Dunno if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by blargsnarf View Post
          All I was given when I became an artist was an FTP access, which I used to install Wordpress for my site. Dunno if that helps.
          It does, so when you were given FTP access it was completely blank and it was entirely up to you to install your own management software from there?

Comment

It does, so when you were given FTP access it was completely blank and it was entirely up to you to install your own management software from there?
            Man, it was like 5+ years ago - maybe? In the darkest recesses of my memory I do seem to recall some kind of control panel, but I don't even know if that was WWOEC or some other site.

Ugh, sorry, not very helpful at all. All I know is it was super easy to just install Wordpress and use that, haha. I'm pretty sure I at least had 100% control over my area of the FTP server.

Comment

Hope you guys figure something out. Ive been with wwoec for at least 8 years. Id be happy to stay here. but whatever happens im happy everyone is still wanting to stick together

Comment

Originally posted by blargsnarf View Post
                Man, it was like 5+ years ago - maybe? In the darkest recesses of my memory I do seem to recall some kind of control panel, but I don't even know if that was WWOEC or some other site.

Ugh, sorry, not very helpful at all. All I know is it was super easy to just install Wordpress and use that, haha. I'm pretty sure I at least had 100% control over my area of the FTP server.
                Every little tidbit of information helps

Comment

YAY! There's hope! Thank you!
                  My 3DS Friend Code (Pokémon Omega Ruby): 5155-3940-2343 (Shiny Pokémon wanted.)

My DeviantArt Page: prfctcellrulz.deviantart.com (Follow me on Twitter @Prfctcellrulz)

Comment

Awesome News Hope you can manage to bring it back. I'd help but I still got much to learn about using servers and what not.

Comment

While I wish to all to find the best for WWOEC comunity must say something that i have deep on my hearth

I find this a little rude, to read this and not mention PAL or TJA whiling to help on this situation, or how we can contribute, it feels like we invite people for a party and then someone enter to your home and tell everyone without even looking at you "hey, we don't need them"... after all we ALSO have the resources too, totally ignoring us and posting about this on our own forum is a little... well.. disrespectful , specially because we have the support of Cobra himself (maybe the guy is just tired of all this after all, we don't know, but the comunity and the owner of the site itself choose us and we didn't hesitated to help), to accept resources of random person is a risky move always, tell me that, I was on that situation before when people told me to move to their severs, even if there's no conditions for make something like this, you never know if this person is overestimating his resources (Palcomix have a lot of traffic for example), you don't know how much compromise this person will have with you, in case of server problems, DDOS attacks, and internet shit... and you totally depend of this person, (means if he/she just get tired you can be abandon in the middle of nowhere, your reputation will be on risk) ..so is not matter of just good faith there.

TJA and Pal are established.. we're not going anywhere, with enough resources.. but if the WWOEC community find a better place will be also cool, really... we just wanted to help, but we don't want to be treated like a whore. >_>
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ; 02-20-2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbmbbf View Post
                        While I wish to all to find the best for WWOEC comunity must say something that i have deep on my hearth

I find this a little rude, to read this and not mention PAL or TJA whiling to help on this situation, or how we can contribute, it feels like we invite people for a party and then someone enter to your home and tell everyone without even looking at you "hey, we don't need them"... after all we ALSO have the resources too, totally ignoring us and posting about this on our own forum is a little... well.. disrespectful , specially because we have the support of Cobra himself (maybe the guy is just tired of all this after all, we don't know, but the comunity and the owner of the site itself choose us and we didn't hesitated to help), to accept resources of random person is a risky move always, tell me that, I was on that situation before when people told me to move to their severs, even if there's no conditions for make something like this, you never know if this person is overestimating his resources (Palcomix have a lot of traffic for example), you don't know how much compromise this person will have with you, in case of server problems, DDOS attacks, and internet shit... and you totally depend of this person, (means if he/she just get tired you can be abandon in the middle of nowhere, your reputation will be on risk) ..so is not matter of just good faith there.

TJA and Pal are established.. we're not going anywhere, with enough resources.. but if the WWOEC community find a better place will be also cool, really... we just wanted to help, but we don't want to be treated like a whore. >_>
                        Your right i should have included a shout out to PAL and TJA, im sorry about that, i didn't mean any disrespect by it and i have changed my original post to reflect it.

While its true i could abandon the forum at a moments notice, i won't do that ever, wwoec community is the only forum ive actually taken the time to be an actual contributor.

As far as the technical aspects go, while i don't have a degree or formal training on Network Administration, web hosting, etc. i have great skills in computers and servers, i've dabbled in a little bit of alot of stuff from programming to linux to hardware to virtualization to network security. While i cant promise 100% uptime and free from attacks, i can promise that these are problems that i have no issues dealing with, if its something i don't know how to deal with off the top of my head i most definitely will extensively research it and apply what i have learned.

Im not trying to say you guy's help is not wanted or warranted (really you guys are awsome) its not like i can bring the servers online and have everything ready togo overnight, it can take days just bring up a functioning version and possibly weeks to bring it up to a well oiled machine with proper load balancing, redundant back ups etc. and that time line is if i can get the backups, it can be much longer if i build it from scratch plus having content spread over multiple sites never really hurt.

ATM I have a 150 mbps upload link, while thats a lot, i still think if anything that will be the point of failure before my servers. I have 2 enterprise grade super micro servers ready to go right now, just need to install the OS and all the web software and config etc. i have 3 more that only need hard drives to be ready, and i have an additional 10 in reserve if i need them. For storage I have 10 TB worth of space in a vTrak raid array. Most of my networking and server hardware is enterprise grade stuff, while it probably wouldn't be able run a website with 100's of thousands of simultaneous users it will have no problem handling wwoec's user base, who if i can remember only had a couple hundred peak simultaneous users.
                        Last edited by cm0002; 02-20-2016, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I wish you the best of luck, It was nice to see TJA come back to life. It'll suck personally to see it die again if you're successful, but I more than understand the sudden loss of a community . TJA and WWOEC where rivals of the past, Each an old site with long legs. I truly hope that even if you're successful that some people choose to help keep this community alive and active as it's gotten over the past 2 days.

Best wishes
                          ~cheetah
                          Cheetah - TJA Productions

Comment

Originally posted by bbmbbf View Post

I actually agree with this, while i enjoyed the few months i been part of WWOEC and talk to people, mainly Madoc, Kamisutra, and others, i didn't like it much the idea of someone telling that he is trying to brought back that site just to "get us out of here" (for lack of a better way to describe it, sorry if its rude), specially after the guys of This place and Palcomix welcome us with open arms, even to the point of making announcements, kinda is disrespectful to their good efforts you know what i am saying?

Plus, i am not sure how many traffic does the palcomix forums have, but here, i noticed that the forums traffic were quite slower, and if the WWOEC members, veteran and newcomers, work here as well, we can help inject some new vitality to this website, plus the fact that it doesn't have any restrictions when it comes to our art.

To cm0002 (the guy who is planning to take such task), i am only speaking for myself, but........Couldn't just let it be as it is?, i mean, i even got in contact with one of the big veterans who not only i admire, he was a very servicial and kind person to me, and i consider him a friend of mine, and told him about the news, and he is considering moving here on Jabarchives and Palcomix, i not trying to speak for him, but i dont think ANY of us would like this being nothing than a "false alarm", with again, and i EMPHASIZE, no disrespect for Chetaah and the guys of Jabarchives and Palcomix who actually welcomed us with open arms.

I didnt even knew that this and WWOEC were "opposite sites" until i read below the comments a few minutes ago, and now we are being giving the oportunity to not only start again, but getting much notoriety, and that act of kindness being, probably unintentional but still, taken away?

Plus, with all respect, the activity on WWOEC was pretty much diminished outside of posting.

As for you wanting to do the task, sorry but really seems like you did such poor planning and you come off as quite short sighted.

I myself would rather have the chance to start adapting to a new environment, i and i hope the rest of the gang gives it a try too, besides who knows, maybe the change would be for the better of all of us.
                            Last edited by Pepipopo; 02-20-2016, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa whoa! Everyone cool your jets, take a breather, and have drink or two.

I think I speak for many when I say that I'm both very grateful as well as very proud to be accepted here at PAL/TJA, and that the weight of a thousand worlds have been taken off the shoulders of not just myself, but of many, many other WWOEC members both newbies and veterans alike. We're all eternally grateful and we can't begin to describe just how thankful we are.

That being said, just because the chance that WWOEC can be restored doesn't mean that we'll abandon people here, nor do we think less of the sites, forums, or people running it. I think I speak for many that should WWOEC be restored, we'll still continue to make posts, stories, pictures, and what have you both here and at PAL as a showing of our eternal gratitude.

I hope that one day WWOEC is restored to its former glory, but if that does happen I will still make posts here and at PAL as a showing of my gratitude, and I think many members of WWOEC will as well. Who knows? Maybe we'll even pool some money together to make a comic based on one of our various writer's jams we've had over the years.

Yes, we're excited of the possibility that WWOEC may live again. But please, do not mistake our excitement for apathy. I am thankful beyond words for the forum here and at PAL and I can promise that many others are as well. I'll continue to post and socialize here, and I think others will as well.

In short...relax. We're still thankful, and if WWOEC should come back tomorrow we won't abandon you. And all WWOEC refugees? C'mon. Show a little more gratitude.

Last edited by Nurse Katie; 02-20-2016, 03:42 AM.
                              Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Comment

Working...
                              X