Announcement

Collapse

Please consider supporting our server!

Do you enjoy parody artwork (rule 34?) We've been providing it to the new for over 24 years. It would be a great help if you could consider supporting us over at subscribestar! You can get there via this link https://subscribestar.adult/tjapalsupport , thanks so much for considering, every little bit helps!
See more
See less

VBulletin Upgrade - Opinions Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBulletin Upgrade - Opinions Needed.

Ok peeps, so this is a bit important.

I can move us up to JUST 4.2 but eventually we're going to need to move to 5.2 because of PHP Depreciation and all that other stuff that goes along with depreciation on the internet. here's the thing.. I know noone likes change. But as people want more and more features it would make very little seance for use to only migrate to the older version, and THEN want new features and better access to galleries and sorting stuff that obviously 5.2 would do better than 4.2 . I know it'll be a bit of a learning process. But since you're all the ones making this community what it is, I'll leave it to you.

Quicker we figure this out the quicker we upgrade... BE HEARD! But be heard quickly..

~Cheetah
    Cheetah - TJA Productions

It would make sense to go 5.2 immediately and avoid further shenanigans down the line. As someone who isn't familiar with tech to such a great extent my only concern as a bottom feeder is the layout of the website I'm using. This means that as long as the design of the thing is simple, unobtrusive and doesn't try to "reinvent" the concept of forums I'm okay with it.

When in doubt, just take a look at how the forum looks now. There are no in-your-face graphics and/or clutter. If 5.2 can look like this, which is to say have a simple and effective design I'm all for it. The software/tech advantages under the hood are just an added bonus.
    The gentle touch of violin strings

Comment

Originally posted by Izidor View Post
      It would make sense to go 5.2 immediately and avoid further shenanigans down the line. As someone who isn't familiar with tech to such a great extent my only concern as a bottom feeder is the layout of the website I'm using. This means that as long as the design of the thing is simple, unobtrusive and doesn't try to "reinvent" the concept of forums I'm okay with it.

When in doubt, just take a look at how the forum looks now. There are no in-your-face graphics and/or clutter. If 5.2 can look like this, which is to say have a simple and effective design I'm all for it. The software/tech advantages under the hood are just an added bonus.
      Pretty sure I'd have no problem making 5.2 LOOK as simple at the 3.8 we're on now, with the benefit of adding stuff later, more stable version and better security... And Nachos...

Comment

Something like that is basically what I had in mind. I prefer this look to PAL's by a wide margin. For some reason the more "features" a site has the less intuitive and easy to use it gets, and people tend to go overboard with de facto meaningless additions. Less is more as they say.

In any case, let's see what others will say as well. I stated my opinion.

Comment

Can't hold back the tide

It sounds like 5.2 is the best choice, with base technology slipping out from under the old code like you said. PHP deprecation bit Adult Fan-fiction.org in the behind recently as well.

Basically as long as there are working "Today's Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" buttons then I can deal with all the other bells and whistles.

Will you need any more cash for the higher version?
          Last edited by FairySlayer; 02-23-2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I vote for 5.2
            There was already a bit of a learning curve just because of the minor and major differences.
            I say treat it like removing a bandage. Better all at once than half at a time.

Comment

Well I put the upgrade order in for 5.2 , I'm sure it'll shock a few people when it first hits, it'll take me a few hours to get the main forum pages dulled down to simplistic happy land! Anyone want to volunteer to make a new forum header image with our Mascots?? WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah View Post
                Well I put the upgrade order in for 5.2 , I'm sure it'll shock a few people when it first hits, it'll take me a few hours to get the main forum pages dulled down to simplistic happy land! Anyone want to volunteer to make a new forum header image with our Mascots?? WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE
                Unless you want me to draw vaguely humanoid stick figures in MS Paint, I advise we find a artist among our flock.

When can we expect the change?

Comment

Since the Cats have cameras can't they just take new pictures themselves?

Anyone want to volunteer to make a new forum header image with our Mascots?? WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE
                  I've barely tried drawing for nearly a decade, but if you have the sources for the current header then it shouldn't be too hard for me to lay it out again in the new height & width specifications. That may alleviate some of that shock for the long-time members (whose patience and understanding I really really REALLY appreciate!).

Now if you want something new to mark the start of a new era and all that, then I'm sure some artists would be happy to immortalize the lovely Jo Rodgers and her friends for the new banner. Perhaps dropping a thread in the Palcomix Members' Artwork Area or the ATTENTION banner would help find someone more quickly, since not everyone is keeping up on the general/administrative threads here.

Comment

Originally posted by FairySlayer View Post
                    It sounds like 5.2 is the best choice, with base technology slipping out from under the old code like you said. PHP deprecation bit Adult Fan-fiction.org in the behind recently as well.

Basically as long as there are working "Today's Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" buttons then I can deal with all the other bells and whistles.

Will you need any more cash for the higher version?
                    No sir I won't need more either way we were buying the 5.2 license sinc e it comes with 4.2. But it was the paid upgrade to 4.2 or 5.2. Same price but it makes a lot more seance to go to 5.2 and dull it down than 4.2 and hope for the best.

Comment

I will LOVE to do this, I'll take the challenge!

(Update) Nevermind ... I misread the post a bit, I'm a dumbass...
                      Last edited by S.X; 02-23-2016, 09:18 PM.
                      ATTN: DO NOT POST MY WORK TO RULE 34!
                      "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
                      -Groucho Marx

Comment

Vbulletin the company is doing the upgrade.. I'm sure it will :P

Comment

If it's done for the better, so time to do it!
                          A Bicurious Guy Who Loves Girl-Girl Love

Check My Stories at the Writer's Lounge - Soon More to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse220 View Post
                            Thanks for the comfort, I hope we'll see wwoec back online soon
                            Wait..... what? I thought the forum upgrade was for THIS PLACE, not for bringing back WWOEC? I'm confused.
                            All the game girls need a good fucking, and we're just the guys to help them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Usako Man View Post
                              Wait..... what? I thought the forum upgrade was for THIS PLACE, not for bringing back WWOEC? I'm confused.
                              It is.. dunno where that person got idea.. I've already had more than one person now comment about when i was going to "Rebrand" TJA WWoEC... I take that as quite the insult.. I don't feel like elaborating more .

Comment

Working...
                              X